There have been many bugs that have come to light since the full release of StarCraft 2. The list is not a short one. One of the main concerns is that some gamers are experiencing hardware failure due to improper cooling. If you hardware has overheated and is no longer useable, my heart goes out to you. Hopefully you can get up and running again without having to spend too much on new parts and can make the grown up decision not to put your tower directly underneath your pot growing lamps.
Here is the list of know bugs so far with StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty.
**Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient. This is because the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly. A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt file and add these lines:
You may replace these numbers if you want to.
The installer allows multiple copies of the game to be installed
Unlike previous Blizzard installers, this one will always let you install another copy of the game. It does not check for previous installations so be careful of how many folders you end up making.
Compatibility Modes will not work properly
Attempting to run StarCraft 2 on a compatibility mode (Windows XP SP3 from Windows 7, for example) will make it crash. Please run the game normally.
There have been multiple reports of black screen issues being related to the use of a Quick Cam webcam.
In some cases exiting out of the software has resolved the issue but others have reported a need to uninstall the software for the camera in order to resolve the problem.
There are also reports where some security programs like Comodo firewall can cause the game to start and stay on a black screen.
We have a list of known bugs that will affect StarCraft II’s operations.
* A language pack error may occur under certain conditions.
– Potential Fix – Ensuring your system clock is correct can help resolve the error.
* Players can send voice but do not receive voice in game on Windows 7 machines with Realtek HD Audio sound cards when the Output Device on the Sounds Menu option is set to the Speakers.
* Sound does not play properly on some hardware set to 7.1 sound on Windows Vista/Windows 7.
– Potential Workaround – Change sound output speaker options to 5.1 or lower.
* Changing the OS speaker mode on Windows Vista or Windows 7 while the game is running causes all sound to stop
* Players that are attempting to download or install to a Hard Drive using the FAT32 file format will be unable to download or use the digital installer.
– Workaround – Download or install the digital client to a NTFS formatted hard drive.
* Mac version 10.6 – Occasionally a crash is occurring with Nvidia drivers.
* Mac – Using a USB headset will drastically lower in game FPS.
* There is a chance where multiple graphic issues may occur for units, structures, terrain, and transmissions.
– This tends to be one set of objects (like a supply depot) or level of terrain where textures are swapped or look a bit psychedelic. It doesn’t affect the whole game screen or cause any other visual oddities.
* Galaxy Editor – Terrain editor lags when dragging the mouse around on the map.
* Galaxy Editor – Changing certain values in the Galaxy Editor is causing a crash while in detail view.
* Graphical corruption can occur when Paged Pool memory gets low.
– Potential Fix – Close unnecessary background applications and restart client.
The list is long, I just hope your game play is as smooth as possible : )